In this study session, you have learned that:
- A health advocacy issue is a problem or situation that an advocacy group seeks to tackle in order to improve the health of their community.
- You need to build support from the policy makers you are trying to influence to support your issue. This will include politicians, local officials and ministry officials. Also make alliances with other groups and organisations that are committed to your issue.
- Key skills for advocacy include good listening and leadership skills.
- Your role as an advocate for health improvement in your community includes planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating activities.
- You should build support, develop your message, identify channels of communication, and mobilise resources to implement your planned advocacy activities.
Last modified: Tuesday, 1 July 2014, 12:06 PM