Vaccine-preventable diseases in the EPI
The vaccine-preventable diseases included in the EPI are:
- tuberculosis (TB)
- poliomyelitis (polio)
- pertussis (whooping cough)
- pneumonia and meningitis caused by Haemophilus influenzae type b bacteria
- liver disease caused by hepatitis B viruses
- pneumonia and other infections caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria
- diarrhoeal diseases caused by rotaviruses (joining the EPI soon).
- Increase and sustain high immunization coverage rates
- Increase the quality of immunization services
- Reduce missed vaccination opportunities and trace defaulters
- Improve public awareness and community participation in immunization programmes
- Ensure prompt reporting and improved control of vaccine-preventable diseases.
Last modified: Thursday, 26 June 2014, 12:47 PM