Self-care and diet for someone with diabetes
How can you support the people with diagnosed diabetes in your community? If they are already taking insulin or other drugs to treat their condition, you should advise them to take their medication regularly. Everyone with diabetes, regardless of treatment, should:
- attend regular medical checkups
- be aware of possible wound infection if they hurt themselves and seek urgent treatment if this occurs
- always wear shoes that fit correctly; wounds, blisters or sores on the feet can lead to tissue damage that is difficult to heal
- have an eye test once every year to check for early signs of eye damage
- always include exercise as a routine part of their lifestyle
- attend health education classes (if they are available) for people with diabetes to learn about self-care.