What is the purpose of the inspection?
Sanitary inspection is a set of activities concerned with the preservation of public health and the investigation of environmental hazards in food establishments. Sanitary inspection aims to investigate and detect:
- Food spoilage and its sources.
- Food contamination and its sources.
- Provision for hygienic procedures (dish and handwashing, food storage).
- Provision of sanitary facilities (latrine, water, shower, handwashing).
- The proper location of the establishment.
- The hygienic practice of food handlers.
- Proper waste management (storage, collection and disposal).
- The presence of vectors.
Sanitary inspections are carried out for two reasons: first, to provide education and advice to the owners, and second, for the purpose of providing a licence if you are asked to do so in the absence of the district environmental health officer.