Remember to provide privacy for the patient during bathing, which is necessary every day to give hygienic care of the body and skin. Show the caregivers how to follow these procedures:
- Dry the skin gently after washing with a soft clean towel or cloth.
- Oil the skin with cream or body oil if available; if not, you can use a vegetable oil.
- Use plastic sheets under the bed sheets to keep the bed dry, if the patient cannot control urine or faeces.
- If there is leakage of urine or stools, protect the patient's skin with petroleum jelly applied around the genital area, anus, back, hips, ankles and elbows.
- Support the sick person over the container when passing urine or stools to avoid injury and wetting the bed.
Last modified: Saturday, 24 May 2014, 3:55 PM