Sampling procedure from a tap or pump outlet
To obtain a representative sample of water, you should carefully follow the sampling procedure described below and illustrated in Figure 17.4. The steps are:
- Clean the tap/outlet using a clean cloth to remove any dirt.
- Open the tap and turn on at maximum flow and let the water run for 1 to 2 minutes; then turn it off.
- Sterilise the tap for a minute with the flame from a cigarette lighter, or an ignited alcohol-soaked cotton-wool swab.
- Open the tap again and allow the water to flow for 1 to 2 minutes at a medium flow rate.
- Open a sterilised bottle by carefully unscrewing the cap or pulling out the stopper.
- Immediately hold the bottle under the water jet and fill.
- While filling the bottle, hold the cap face downwards to prevent entry of dust, which may contaminate the sample.
- Place the stopper in the bottle or screw on the cap. A small air space should be left to make shaking before analysis easier.
Last modified: Friday, 27 June 2014, 4:09 PM