In this study session, you have learned that:
- The aim of food protection is to protect food from all possible sources of contamination at all stages, including storage and preparation.
- It is essential that all food handlers are aware of the need for good personal hygiene to protect the food from contamination and prevent disease.
- Food must be stored correctly, in an appropriate space, at the correct temperature and avoiding contact with any source of contamination.
- Food preservation methods are used to keep foods safe for extended periods of time.
- Recommended methods for safe food preservation are aimed at preventing contamination, reducing microbial numbers, preventing microbial growth and delaying self-decomposition.
- There are many different methods of food preservation that can be used for different foods.
Last modified: Monday, 23 June 2014, 12:15 PM