In this Study Session, you have learned that:
- Water is essential to life. People can live for many days without food but for very few days without water.
- Water for public consumption must be palatable and safe.
- Unsafe water can seriously harm human health. Infants, young children, older people and people debilitated by disease are the most vulnerable.
- Water in the human body is essential for several bodily functions.
- The diseases associated with water can be classified as waterborne, water-washed, water-based and water-related.
- The causative agents of disease in unsafe water include bacteria, viruses, protozoa and helminths (worms).
- Detection of faecal coliform bacteria including E. coli is used to test for the presence of faecal contamination and to indicate the likelihood of the presence of pathogenic organisms in drinking water.
- Chemical contamination of water can cause health problems.
- Turbidity, colour, taste and odour are important factors in water being acceptable to people.
पिछ्ला सुधार: गुरुवार, 11 अगस्त 2016, 5:27 अपराह्न