Now that you have completed this study session, you can assess how well you have achieved its Learning Outcomes by answering these questions.
Which of the following statements are false? In each case explain why it is incorrect.
- For sustainability, it is best to use locally-available materials and skills when constructing latrines.
- The aim should always be to have water-borne toilets such as the WC.
- Constructing a pit latrine with a mound ensures that any water drains away.
- The raised footrests in a latrine help in the proper use of the facility in darkness.
- The cost of the latrine to the user is immaterial, since good health from proper sanitation is priceless.
2 is false. Water-flushed toilet systems should only be considered if a continuous supply of water is available.
5 is false. Latrines need to be affordable for people to adopt them.