Now that you have completed this study session, you can assess how well you have achieved its Learning Outcomes by answering these questions.
Look at Figure 7.6 and fill in the missing labels using the following abbreviations: WWT, NWCO, RWTT, NWSC.
Which of the following sequences represents the correct leadership hierarchy of the OWNP?
- NWSC → RWSC → NWTT → WSC
- NWTT → NWSC → NWCO → RWCO
- RWSC → NWSC → RWTT → NWTT
- NWSC → RWSC → WWSC → WWT
Option (d) is the correct sequence. It shows the vertical relationship of steering committees at different levels from national to regional to woreda, and the horizontal relationship at woreda level from Woreda Steering Committee to the Woreda WASH Team.
Explain the main role and responsibilities of each of the four WASH sector ministries in relation to the OWNP.
- The Ministry of Water, Irrigation and Energy (MoWIE) is responsible for the provision of safe water.
- The Ministry of Health (MoH) is responsible for the provision of sanitation and hygiene for the community and provision of WASH facilities for health institutions.
- The Ministry of Education (MoE) is responsible for the provision of WASH facilities for schools.
- The Ministry of Finance and Economic Development (MoFED) is responsible for the financial management of the OWNP.
At woreda level, which aspects of the OWNP are the responsibility of the Steering Committee and which of the Woreda WASH Team?
At every level, steering committees have responsibility for governance, however the Woreda Steering Committee also has responsibility for management at the woreda level. The Woreda WASH Team is responsible for implementation and coordination. The Woreda WASH Team will also work with community WASH Committees (WASHCOs) on specific projects.