Key Knowledge Points
- IPC is a scientific approach with:
- Practical solutions designed to prevent infections, to patients and health care workers
- Grounded in principles of infectious disease, epidemiology, social science and health system strengthening, and
- Integrated in patient safety and health service quality
- WASH is a collective term for water, sanitation and hygiene. Essential for protecting human health during all infectious disease outbreaks, including COVID-19.
- Inadequate IPC/WASH measures in HCFs could lead to disease transmission to staff, patients, visitors and within the community.
- IPC/WASH interventions enable to prevent or limit disease transmission, enhance safety of worker and capacity to respond to outbreak.
- IPC/WASH for addressing health care associated infections (HAI) and anti-microbial resistance.
- Ensuring evidenced-based and consistently applied WASH in all settings help to prevent transmission of pathogens.
Last modified: Wednesday, 18 November 2020, 10:43 PM