When you have studied this session, you should be able to:
- Define and use correctly all of the key words printed in bold.
- Describe how the pancreas, liver and muscles, and the hormones insulin and glucagon, are involved in regulating blood glucose levels.
- List the signs and symptoms of diabetes and distinguish between Type 1, Type 2 and gestational diabetes.
- Describe the test that you would do to confirm a diagnosis of diabetes.
- List the risk factors for diabetes.
- Explain how to interpret the Body Mass Index (BMI) and its significance for diabetes.
- Describe the basic features of diabetic self-care and a suitable diet for someone with diabetes.
Last modified: Wednesday, 2 July 2014, 9:40 AM