Classify for throat problems
There are three possible classifications of throat problem:
- Streptococcal sore throat (Streptococci are the bacteria most often involved in causing throat infections).
- No streptococcal sore throat
- No throat problem.
Table 13.5 reproduces the section from the Assess and Classify chart booklet for the classification and treatment of sore throat.
As you can see from Table 13.5, there is a range of treatments that you should provide for a child with a throat problem:
- Give an oral antibiotic, amoxicillin for 10 days
- Give paracetamol if the child has a fever with a temperature higher than 38.5°C
- Soothe the child's throat with warm tea and honey.